Friday, September 5, 2008
Getting Settled
The movers arrived on Tuesday around 10:30 and it's been non-stop work ever since. Jason and I work to unpack boxes and organize our home every spare minute we have during the day and after Jaxon goes to bed until we can't keep our eyes open any more. It's amazing how much "junk" we've acquired after 5 years. Jason is set to begin classes on Tues, so we're trying to get the house done and spend as much time together as possible before the studying and stress begins. Jason, Jaxon and I attended a newcomers briefing this morning and learned a lot about what the base has to offer and some benefits of being active duty these next 54 weeks. Jason got to meet his classmates today and they're trying to plan a get-together for this weekend. I've made a few connections with some wives - one whose husband is in Jason's class and graduated AMS with. Another wife I'm getting to know is 8 months pregnant and due the day before her husband hits the flight line. I feel especially called to be there for her as the emotions of being a first time mom are still very fresh to me. Jason is beginning to feel a few nerves about all he has to accomplish in the next few days, but each time a T-6 flies (very low this week) over our house, he looks at me and I see in his face that he knows he belongs here and is doing exactly what God has called him to do. We miss Kansas City, but we are quickly getting familiar with Columbus and finding fun restaurants and shops to frequent.
We were waiting at the medical clinic on base to finalize paperwork for our medical insurance. Jason decided to see what Jax looked like as a 2nd Lt. Jax is really starting to notice the camera and becoming very cheesy as he grins for pictures.
We tried a new restaurant just outside the base gates - Little Kitchen. It specializes in greasy spoon food and Chinese. Yeh good times! Anyone who visits Columbus will most likely have to try it - it's very yummy. This is the first time we've put Jax in a big-boy high chair at a restaurant. He loved sitting big-boy style next to Daddy.
Here's one of our roommates. Jason found him crawling up the pantry wall as he was unloading a moving box. We get lots of visitors down here; including salamanders in the living room, cockroaches in the kitchen, and big spiders in the bathroom. Don't be alarmed - it's just part of living in the humid south in 1950's base housing. Surprisingly, none of our "visitors" have bothered me too much. Just knowing that everyone has these little friends in their homes helps.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
HI! I'm glad you all made it safely and are getting a chance to spend some time together and become familiar with your new home. I got your blog info from your mom since you never sent it! :) I love that I can see how you guys are doing and "watch" Jaxon grow through pics! I can't believe how big he is getting!! Hopefully I will see you guys soon, either when you come back for a visit, or I just may have to take a mini vacation from the fam and come to visit! Give Jaxon a hug from me and tell him not to grow up too fast. As much as you will be missed here, it is a wonderful thing that Jason is living out his dream! Take care, and update often!!
Hugs from good 'ol G-Town,
Jamie
Post a Comment