Saturday, June 1, 2013

Drive-In Movie Night

A few weeks ago, our church hosted a Drive-in Movie Night for kids aged birth - kindergarten. Jason was out of town, but the kids and I decided it sounded like the perfect way to spend a Saturday evening. When we got there, we found the church decorated with road signs and the floor covered in black paper with yellow lines to look like a road. In the gym, different car-themed stations were set up. I didn't do a very good job with pictures, because I was by myself with two kids, holding all their goodies and trying to assist them with each activity, but a few of the stations I remember are: build an edible car with candy, decorate a box car for the drive-in, create a key chain, get a picture taken in a Mustang convertible, decorate a picture frame, a police station with safety tips, and a sticker station where they decorated a picture of a garage to show them working on an antique car.

After we visited each station, the kids got settled in their boxes cars and enjoyed a short movie, while munching on popcorn. The event was a success and I'm so grateful for a church that is willing to devote time and resources on kids of all ages!


Jaxon and his buddy, Wyatt, creating their edible cars.

Dakota trying hard to build her car and not lick the frosting!

The finished cars! Jaxon's on the left and Dakota's on the right.

This is Jaxon working hard on his car. Note the wheels, steering wheel, and
race number. Later in the evening, he found some lime green duct tape and convinced
me to help him add "racing stripes" to the side.

Dakota trying out her car! Jaxon suggested she add the glittery
blue flowers to the wheels to make it look girly.

Dakota enjoying the drive-in movie.

Jaxon at the drive-in movie.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

That is just the cutest idea. What a wonderful time for the kiddos. Love the creativity. I love your church and they do so many neat things for all ages. Love you Jaxon and Kota!